At Berry, sustainability is more than a trend, more than a report, and more than a statement. It is stewardship – stewardship of the environment, stewardship of our economic and fiscal results, and stewardship of the communities in which we live and work. We believe we can provide quality packaging and engineered materials as well as grow our business while also sustaining our environment, our local communities, and our employees. We practice stewardship every day through operational excellence, utility and waste reduction initiatives, source reduction, recycling, efficient transportation, research of new materials, charitable giving, volunteering, and providing a safe and prosperous workplace.
Our vision is to continuously improve our operations, products, and services to become more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable. Our 5 focus areas for sustainability are:
- Utilities – We strive to minimize our environmental footprint and conserve natural resources by reducing our electricity, natural gas, and water consumption. Our manufacturing sites each have a utilities leader responsible for spearheading utility reduction by identifying, implementing, and translating utilities best practices. Our target is to reduce electricity, natural gas, and water intensity each by 1% per year.
- Emissions – We acknowledge the importance of knowing and mitigating our greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, which is why we track both our Scope 1 and Scope 2 GHG emissions. Our GHG inventory was initially verified for method and accuracy by the EPA as part of the Climate Leaders program. Our target is to reduce our GHG intensity by 1% per year.
- Waste – In accordance with our waste management hierarchy, we strive to minimize waste generation and maximize recovery of any waste that is generated. Waste reduction teams at each of our manufacturing plants provide best practices that are leveraged across the company. This is done in support of our target to decrease landfill waste intensity by 5% per year.
Not only are we concerned about our direct waste, we are also concerned about the entire life cycle of our products. At Berry, we support the research and development of practical and economical end of life scenarios for our products, such as recycling, that prevent them from accumulating landfills or the natural environment.
- Materials – Materials are at the heart of every product we manufacture. We strive to provide the highest quality products and services that consistently exceed customers’ expectations. Therefore, we are focused on continually optimizing our product designs to reduce material usage and design for recyclability. Furthermore, we support the research and development of practical and economical alternatives to conventional fossil fuel based raw materials.
- Secondary packaging – As a leading packaging manufacturer, we know the criticality of packaging – protection of products for the safety of consumers. Every product we create requires packaging to get to our customers, such as corrugated boxes, stretch wrap, polyliners, and pallets. We optimize our secondary packaging to minimize its environmental impact while still protecting our products, including the use of reusable packaging where feasible.
By focusing on these areas, we strive to manufacture products that delight our customers, minimize our environmental impact, and provide profitable results.